About Me

My photo
Cynicism, sarcasm, and Political Incorrectness are my specialty. Or specialties. Whatever, just shut up and read....

Monday, August 31, 2009

Mr. B = Public Enemy #1

I know for a fact that if a lot of people read this, I will be deemed a rascist, an A-hole, an impatient bastard, and an overall hateful prick. Even though I'm none of those, everyone has a right to their own opinion. Nonetheless, I'll be vilified shortly....

But, guess what, I'm going to say it anyways. Why? Because, even though it's a touchy subject, it needs to be said.

I'm sick and tired of waiting in line behind someone who doesn't speak a word of English and gets angry/pissed/offended when the cashier/teller can't speak Spanish or Mexican. (Don't bother with yelling at me that Spanish and Mexican are the same. They aren't.) Just about everytime I bring up this complaint, there will be people tell me that a lot of Mexican nationals come here for vacation. Why? The hot, dry temperature? Our sandy beaches? Golfland?

No, in my estimation, the majority of Mexican nationals in this city aren't here for vacation purposes. Since when has Mesa been a tourist hotspot?

Now, I must clarify, I do have friends that were born and raised in Mexico. And there are a few that are here unbeknownst to customs officials. But at least they know at least the basics of the English language. If I ever go to Mexico, I know the words I'll need to use to solve any problem I might get into."Arizona?" (while pointing multiple directions), "Cerveza, por favor?" if I run out of beer,  and "Zapateria?" when I lose my shoes after using the previous phrase multiple times.


 But, never will I start berating an employee in a language they've already emphasized to me that they dont know.  That's just rude.

Also, don't come up to me at a gas station and start asking me stuff in a foreign language and get pissed when I look at you funny and say I don't know what the hell your saying. We speak english here.

I could understand all of this if we were in Long Beach, LA, San Diego, Tucson, Miami, or any popular tourist town that deals with foreign languages on a daily basis. But this is Mesa. We ain't got shit.

If anyone reads this and wants to give me crap about it, go ahead. I welcome your opinion.

Anyways, I'm done for tonight.

Hate me if you want, I don't really care.

-B-

1 comment:

  1. ok, I totally agree, Mexicans speak their own version. And I'm always amazed at how many women have their children on vacation in grand ol' phx. haha
    lacy

    ReplyDelete