About Me

My photo
Cynicism, sarcasm, and Political Incorrectness are my specialty. Or specialties. Whatever, just shut up and read....

Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Feeling is Gone....

What ever happened to people recognizing the basic feelings and thought behind holidays? In the past people recognized holidays for what they were. They also enjoyed them because of the family traditions involved with each individual holiday. It seems nowadays everyone has become jaded to the meanings, and selfish in the celebration of such things.

The majority of people look at holidays like Veterans Day, Labor Day, and Memorial Day especially, as nothing more than a day off of work. "It's a Federal Holiday, I get it off, and you have to pay me." Granted, as a kid I viewed those holidays as nothing more than a day out of school. But as I've aged, I've learned to respect the reasons behind them. Being proud of the people who have served and are still serving in the military, being happy to live in a country where you can choose your vocation, and extremely proud of those who gave everything for this country.

And then there are the more traditional holidays. Like Easter, and Christmas. I'm not a religious man, but I feel these holidays transcend religion. Yes, they are based in religious theology, but they are more than that. Most people these days view them as a time to receive. Easter = Candy. Christmas = Toys, and shiny stuff. Whatever happened to enjoying being around people you care about? Why don't we enjoy the gift because someone cared enough to give it to us? If I opened every gift tomorrow, and all I got was nothing but underwear and socks, I would be grateful. Because then I would know, that no matter what, my family loved me, cared for me, and knew me well enough to know that I hate doing laundry, and therefore those things were needed. But that's beside the point.

The point is: spend the holidays the right way. Not basking in the fact that you have the day off, but enjoying the hours with family, friends, or loved ones.


I'm done.

Goodnight/Good Morning/Go Away....

-B-

“Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.”
-- Benny Hill

1 comment:

  1. Aye, lad. As a father of four I am doing the best I can to raise these children of mine yet it bothers me that all they seem to be concerned with is all of the gifts that they will be getting. At least they haven't complained to me as of yet the overall number but I am sure that they will voice that opinion later in life. Perhaps then they shall see a boot to the backside and a wake up call that this IS a time to be with family and friends, not rejoicing in the cool shit they get Christmas morning.

    I can only hope.

    ReplyDelete