About Me

My photo
Cynicism, sarcasm, and Political Incorrectness are my specialty. Or specialties. Whatever, just shut up and read....

Monday, April 27, 2009

Mom? What's a "Stamp?"....

 As far as the title of this goes, that was actually something I heard while at the post office a while back. It was said by a girl who was probably around 15-16 yrs old, and she was rapid-fire "texting" someone, and or emailing/twittering, updating Facebook status, yadda yadda yadda. 

I remember back to what is now called the "old days" when all you had was a home phone. And some of you might remember the days before that. Then came Pagers, or beepers, or whatever the heck you wanted to call them. It was a huge stepping stone in communication. Mobile phones at that time were huge chunky devices that had to be constantly plugged into the cig lighter, and actually resembled a WWII radio. A satchel with a handset attatched to it.

But nowadays, all that is changed. Instant communication, via text, electronic mail, and even video; swapped between handheld devices that are smaller than a deck of cards. It's hard to believe that 10 yrs ago, having a battery operated cell phone was a symbol of being high class.

Unfortunately, I think we take all this for granted. Yes, it is awesome to be able to update Mom on how I'm doing today by sending her a few typed words. Or a picture of me and my friends doing something fun. 

Or, from a business point of view, Emailing a resume, or handing it in in person, presenting yourself, and giving them the opportunity to judge you in the here and now, by who you are, not by what the paper says.

Anyhow, I'm going to get to my meaning of all this....

Lately, I've become wrapped up in all this digital BS, but I'm tired of it. Whatever happened to having a conversation? One that included spoken word and not crappy shorthand stuff like OMG, or IDK. Its horribly unfortunate that people forgot how to spell "two" or "to" and therefore had to type "2" instead.

And, don't get me started on the crap that is "LOL."

I'm done. Goodnight.

-B- 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment